Our Land

Our Land: more than the beach!
In addition to the never-ending shore and very close to the hotel, you will have the chance to spend unforgettable days in the inland of Rimini, all in a small town, quiet in winter, lively in summer.

Not simply “Romagna mia” (my Romagna), but also the land of the Malatestas all to be discovered.
Rimini welcomes you not only with its famous beach, but also with the many monuments spanning back in time through many ages: Roman, Medieval, and Renaissance, all to be admired in the historical downtown.

The nearby town of Cesena was the capital of the Malatesta family, but also the headquarter of Cesare Borgia who, when conquering Romagna in 1500, in order to plan its war strategy, requested the assistance and ingenuity of Leonardo da Vinci, who designed the current and distinguishing gat of Cesenatico in order to offer the city access to the sea.

Castel Simondo, a Malatesta shrine in Rimini, is one of Leon Battista Alberti’s main works.
Do not miss a visit to the Augustus Arch, built in Istria-stone in 27 BC to honor Ceasar Octavian Augustus. This arch is the oldest Roman arch standing and it is located at the crossing between Via Flaminia and Via Emilia.
The sightseeing trip may continue along Corso di Augusto (Augustus Blvd.) until plaza Tre Martiri (Three Martyrs) (in memory of 3 young Partisans) then continuing on through the Tiberius Bridge and across Via Emilia to reach the ‘Domus del Chirurgo’ already named the “Pompei of Rimini”.
On Wednesday and Saturday morning, Rimini features the largest open market in Emilia Romagna.

The Republic of San Marino is the smallest and oldest Republic in the world, with its 60 square km and 27,000 inhabitants, is located 20 km away from Rimini.
The Country core is Mount Titan, a 750 m tall mountain.
From San Marino tourists may enjoy a fantastic view over the green prairies of Romagna and the vast panorama of the Adriatic Sea.

Santarcangelo is embraced by two rivers: Uso and Marecchia , from which the nearby valley takes its name: Val Marecchia .
Piazza Ganganelli is the town center.
The historical downtown built on a hill with its narrow streets known as 'contrada' is all to be seen.
Since the XIII Century the town was ruled by Count Balacchi and his family, probably originally from Santarcangelo or, according to less reliable sources, from Lodigiano, later ousted in the early XV century by the Malatestas, their sworn enemies. The Balacchi’s rule ended with significant political defeats and the excommunication of the latest representative, Paolo, who was removed from power by Pope Bonifacio in the IX century.
Since 1971, in July, the town hosts one of the most important modern art theater events in Italy: Santarcangelo dei Teatri - Festival Internazionale del Teatro in Piazza (Theater International Fair). On November 11, San Martino hosts a famous and ancient fair also known as the 'dei becchi' Fair.
Lately, the traditional Run of the “becchi” has been added to this event, open to all those who have been “cheated” by their spouse or wish to exorcize it.
Another event, which takes place downtown, is the 'Balconi Fioriti' event: in mid May, Piazza Ganganelli and its stairs are embellished by beautiful flowers and plants.

Since 1300 a mysterious legend continues to intrigue and attract many superstitious visitors: the legend of the Azzurrina ghost. The story tells the tale of Ugolinuccio Malatesta’s young daughter, Guendalina, who mysteriously disappeared when she was eight years old.
According to the legend, on June 21, 1375, Azzurrina was playing with a ball made of fabric and ropes. The ball fell down the stairs that led to the cold room and she followed it to recover it. Two guards heard a scream and ran to assist her, but any attempt to find her was in vain. The castle and the entire town were searched for days, but Azzurrina had disappeared and she was nowhere to be found.
Since that June 21, every five years, on the summer solstice, the ghost of Azzurrina appears in the Castle of Montebello, one can hear her laughter, hear the bouncing of her ball and hear her voice.

The fortress of San Leo is located in the Municipal District by the same name in the province of Rimini . It is located on the rocky peak that overlooks the village of San Leo and Valmarecchia
It is a striking defensive fortress, built in the Malatesta and Montefeltro period. The medieval downtown still offers Romanesque buildings such as the Parish Church and the Cathedral.
San Leo’s background is deep and significant and it demands reverence and pondering. It is a particular atmosphere, very easily felt.
Once reached Sobborto, the sheer and imposing cliff, crowned by the fortress, is immediately visible overlooking the surrounding countryside.
In front of this impassable wall, it is possible to experience the same astonishment that led Dante to exclaim: “Vassi in San Leo…ma qui convien ch’uom voli” (IV Chant of the Purgatory).


It rises on the ridge of a hill, well visible thanks to its mighty town walls and watch towers and the imposing mass of the famous castle.
According to ancient folklore, within the castle the ferocious murder of Paolo Malatesta and Francesca da Polenta took place by hand of cheated Giovanni Malatesta, nicknamed 'Lo Sciancato'. Gradara has always been a land of forbidden love: in this ancient town history and legend merge and create the myth recounted by Dante in the V chant, Hell, of the Divine Comedy.
Here, where Paolo and Francesca’s love lives on even after death, San Valentino (Valentine’s Day) is celebrated with a special festival.